English | 2019 | ISBN: n/a | 298 Pages | PDF | 10 MB
System software is a set of programs designed to control the operation and extend the processing capability of a computer system. In general, system software performs one or more of the following functions:
- Supports the development of other application software.
- Supports the execution of other application software.
- Monitors the effective use of various hardware resources such as CPU, memory, peripherals, etc.
- Communicates with and controls the operation of peripheral devices such as printer, disk, tape, etc.
Thus, system software makes the operation of a computer system more effective and efficient. It helps the hardware components work together and provides support for the development and execution of application software (programs). The programs included in a system software package are called system programs. The programmers who prepare system software are referred as system programmers.
In this book:
- MACHINE STRUCTURE
- MACHINE LANGUAGE & ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE
- MACROS LANGUAGE AND MACRO PROCESSOR
- LOADERS AND LINKERS
- PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES
- FORMAL SYSTEM