English | 2020 | ISBN: 978-0136820154 | 928 Pages | EPUB | 58 MB
Systems performance analysis and tuning lead to a better end-user experience and lower costs, especially for cloud computing environments that charge by the OS instance. Systems Performance, 2nd Edition covers concepts, strategy, tools, and tuning for operating systems and applications, using Linux-based operating systems as the primary example.
World-renowned systems performance expert Brendan Gregg summarizes relevant operating system, hardware, and application theory to quickly get professionals up to speed even if they’ve never analyzed performance before, and to refresh and update advanced readers’ knowledge. Gregg illuminates the latest tools and techniques, including extended BPF, showing how to get the most out of your systems in cloud, web, and large-scale enterprise environments. He covers these and other key topics:
- Hardware, kernel, and application internals, and how they perform
- Methodologies for rapid performance analysis of complex systems
- Optimizing CPU, memory, file system, disk, and networking usage
- Sophisticated profiling and tracing with perf, Ftrace, and BPF (BCC and bpftrace)
- Performance challenges associated with cloud computing hypervisors
- Benchmarking more effectively
Fully updated for current Linux operating systems and environments, Systems Performance, 2nd Edition addresses issues that apply to any computer system. The book will be a go-to reference for many years to come and recommended reading at many tech companies, like its predecessor first edition.