English | 2017 | ISBN: 0999685907 | 299 Pages | EPUB, AZW3 | 41 MB
I am a self-taught programmer. After a year of self-study, I learned to program well enough to land a job as a software engineer II at eBay. Once I got there, I realized I was severely under-prepared. I was overwhelmed by the amount of things I needed to know but hadn’t learned yet. My journey learning to program, and my experience at my first job as a software engineer were the inspiration for this book.
This book is not just about learning to program; although you will learn to code. If you want to program professionally, it is not enough to learn to code; that is why, in addition to helping you learn to program, I also cover the rest of the things you need to know to program professionally that classes and books don’t teach you. “The Self-taught Programmer” is a roadmap, a guide to take you from writing your first Python program, to passing your first technical interview. I divided the book into five sections:
- Learn to program in Python 3 and build your first program.
- Learn Object-oriented programming and create a powerful Python program to get you hooked.
- Learn to use tools like Git, Bash, regular expressions and databases. Then use your new coding skills to build a web scraper.
- Study Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Finish with tips for working with a team and landing a programming job.
You CAN learn to program professionally. The path is there. Will you take it?