English | 2018 | ISBN: 0134306407 | 320 Pages | PDF | 420 MB
A Visual Guide to Understanding Software Defined Networks and Network Function Virtualization
The simple, visual, at-a-glance guide to SDN and NFV: Core concepts, business drivers, key technologies, and more!
SDN (Software Defined Networks) and NFV (Network Function Virtualization) are today’s hottest areas of networking. Many executives, investors, sales professionals, and marketers need a solid working understanding of these technologies, but most books on the subject are written specifically for network engineers and other technical experts. SDN and NFV Simplified fills that gap, offering highly visual, “at-a-glance” explanations of SDN, NFV, and their underlying virtualizations.
Built around an illustrated, story-telling approach, this answers the questions: Why does this technology matter? How does it work? Where is it used? What problems does it solve?
Through easy, whiteboard-style infographics, you’ll learn: how virtualization enables SDN and NFV; how datacenters are virtualized through clouds; how networks can also be virtualized; and how to maximize security, visibility, and Quality of Experience in tomorrow’s fully-virtualized environments.
Step by step, you’ll discover why SDN and NFV technologies are completely redefining both enterprise and carrier networks, and driving the most dramatic technology migration since IP networking. That’s not all: You’ll learn all you need to help lead this transformation.
- Learn how virtualization establishes the foundation for SDN and NFV
- Review the benefits of VMs, the role of hypervisors, and the management of virtual resources
- Discover how cloud technologies enable datacenter virtualization
- Understand the roles of networking gear in virtualized datacenters
- See VMWare VMotion and VXLAN at work in the virtualized datacenter
- Understand multitenancy and the challenges of “communal living”
- Learn how core network functions and appliances can be virtualized
- Ensure performance and scalability in virtualized networks
- Compare modern approaches to network virtualization, including OpenFlow, VMWare Nicera, Cisco Inseieme, and OpenStack
- Walk through the business case for SDN, NFV, and the Cloud
- Discover how the Software Defined Network (SDN) solves problems previously left unaddressed
- Understand SDN controllers–and who’s fighting to control your network
- Use SDN and NFV to improve integration and say goodbye to “truck rolls”
- Enforce security, avoid data leakage, and protect assets through encryption
- Provide for effective monitoring and consistent Quality of Experience (QoE)
- Learn how SDN and NFV will affect you–and what’s next