English | 2014 | ISBN: 1491949856 | 568 Pages | True PDF, EPUB | 10 MB
Programming Scala: Scalability = Functional Programming + Objects
Get up to speed on Scala, the JVM language that offers all the benefits of a modern object model, functional programming, and an advanced type system. Packed with code examples, this comprehensive book shows you how to be productive with the language and ecosystem right away, and explains why Scala is ideal for today's highly scalable, data-centric applications that support concurrency and distribution.
This second edition covers recent language features, with new chapters on pattern matching, comprehensions, and advanced functional programming. You’ll also learn about Scala’s command-line tools, third-party tools, libraries, and language-aware plugins for editors and IDEs. This book is ideal for beginning and advanced Scala developers alike.
- Program faster with Scala’s succinct and flexible syntax
- Dive into basic and advanced functional programming (FP) techniques
- Build killer big-data apps, using Scala’s functional combinators
- Use traits for mixin composition and pattern matching for data extraction
- Learn the sophisticated type system that combines FP and object-oriented programming concepts
- Explore Scala-specific concurrency tools, including Akka
- Understand how to develop rich domain-specific languages
- Learn good design techniques for building scalable and robust Scala applications