English | 2018 | ISBN: 1788392822 | 426 Pages | EPUB | 10 MB
Learning Scala Programming: Object-oriented programming meets functional reactive to create Scalable and Concurrent programs
Learn how to write scalable and concurrent programs in Scala, a language that grows with you.
Scala is a general-purpose programming language that supports both functional and object-oriented programming paradigms. Due to its concise design and versatility, Scala’s applications have been extended to a wide variety of fields such as data science and cluster computing. You will learn to write highly scalable, concurrent, and testable programs to meet everyday software requirements.
We will begin by understanding the language basics, syntax, core data types, literals, variables, and more. From here you will be introduced to data structures with Scala and you will learn to work with higher-order functions. Scala’s powerful collections framework will help you get the best out of immutable data structures and utilize them effectively. You will then be introduced to concepts such as pattern matching, case classes, and functional programming features. From here, you will learn to work with Scala’s object-oriented features. Going forward, you will learn about asynchronous and reactive programming with Scala, where you will be introduced to the Akka framework. Finally, you will learn the interoperability of Scala and Java.
After reading this book, you’ll be well versed with this language and its features, and you will be able to write scalable, concurrent, and reactive programs in Scala.
What You Will Learn
- Get to know the reasons for choosing Scala: its use and the advantages it provides over other languages
- Bring together functional and object-oriented programming constructs to make a manageable application
- Master basic to advanced Scala constructs
- Test your applications using advanced testing methodologies such as TDD
- Select preferred language constructs from the wide variety of constructs provided by Scala
- Make the transition from the object-oriented paradigm to the functional programming paradigm
- Write clean, concise, and powerful code with a functional mindset
- Create concurrent, scalable, and reactive applications utilizing the advantages of Scala