English | 2017 | ISBN: 1786468017 | 514 Pages | True PDF, EPUB | 18 MB
Learn to leverage the power of PowerCLI to automate your VMware vSphere environment with ease
VMware vSphere PowerCLI, a free extension to Microsoft Windows PowerShell, enables you to automate the management of a VMware vSphere or vCloud environment.
This book will show you how to automate your tasks and make your job easier. Starting with an introduction to the basics of PowerCLI, the book will teach you how to manage your vSphere and vCloud infrastructure from the command line. To help you manage a vSphere host overall, you will learn how to manage vSphere ESXi hosts, host profiles, host services, host firewall, and deploy and upgrade ESXi hosts using Image Builder and Auto Deploy. The next chapter will not only teach you how to create datastore and datastore clusters, but you'll also work with profile-driven and policy-based storage to manage your storage. To create a disaster recovery solution and retrieve information from vRealize Operations, you will learn how to use Site Recovery Manager and vRealize Operations respectively. Towards the end, you'll see how to use the REST APIs from PowerShell to manage NSX and vRealize Automation and create patch baselines, scan hosts against the baselines for missing patches, and re-mediate hosts.
By the end of the book, you will be capable of using the best tool to automate the management and configuration of VMware vSphere.
What you will learn
- Explore PowerShell and PowerCLI cmdlets and their output objects
- See how to manage virtual machines and work with virtual networks
- Manage vCloud Director from PowerCLI
- Use site recovery manager from PowerCLI to create a disaster recovery solution
- Managing NSX and vRealize Automation using REST API with PowerCLI
- Create and configure vSphere HA and DRS clusters
- Use vSphere Update Manager with PowerCLI to create patch baselines and scan hosts
- Explore reporting techniques to retrieve log files