English | 2014 | ISBN: 978-1-4493-6994-1 | 210 Pages | PDF, EPUB | 10 MBElixir is an excellent language if you want to learn about functional programming, and with this hands-on introduction, you’ll discover just how powerful and fun Elixir can be. This language combines the robust functional programming of Erlang with a syntax similar to Ruby, and includes powerful features for metaprogramming. This book shows you how to write simple Elixir programs by teaching one skill at a time. Once you pick up pattern matching, process-oriented programming, and other concepts, you’ll understand why Elixir makes it easier to build concurrent and resilient programs that scale up and down with ease.
- Get comfortable with IEx, Elixir’s command line interface
- Discover atoms, pattern matching, and guards: the foundations of your program structure
- Delve into the heart of Elixir with recursion, strings, lists, and higher-order functions
- Create processes, send messages among them, and apply pattern matching to incoming messages
- Store and manipulate structured data with Erlang Term Storage and the Mnesia database
- Build resilient applications with Erlang’s Open Telecom Platform
- Define macros with Elixir’s metaprogramming tools