English | 2019 | ISBN: 1788835657 | 552 Pages | True PDF, EPUB | 479 MB
Learn to build intelligent and responsive Non-Player Characters for your games with Unreal Engine Game AI.
Learning how to apply artificial intelligence ( AI ) is crucial and can take the fun factor to the next level, whether you’re developing a traditional, educational, or any other kind of game. If you want to use AI to extend the life of your games and make them challenging and more interesting, this book is for you.
The book starts by breaking down AI into simple concepts to get a fundamental understanding of it. Using a variety of examples, you will work through actual implementations designed to highlight key concepts and features related to game AI in UE4. You will learn to work through the built-in AI framework in order to build believable characters for every game genre (including RPG, Strategic, Platform, FPS, Simulation, Arcade, and Educational). You will learn to configure the Navigation, Environmental Querying, and Perception systems for your AI agents and couple these with Behavior Trees, all accompanied with practical examples. You will also explore how the engine handles dynamic crowds. In the concluding chapters, you will learn how to profile, visualize, and debug your AI systems to correct the AI logic and increase performance.
By the end of the book, your AI knowledge of the built-in AI system in Unreal will be deep and comprehensive, allowing you to build powerful AI agents within your projects.
What you will learn
- Get an in-depth knowledge about all the AI Systems within Unreal Engine
- Create complex AIs, understanding the art of designing and developing Behavior Tree
- Learn how to perform Environmental Queries (EQS)
- Master the Navigation, Perception, and Crowd Systems
- Profile and Visualize the AI Systems with powerful debugging tools
- Extend every AI and Debug system with custom nodes and functions