English | 2021 | ISBN: 978-1801075732 | 264 Pages | PDF, EPUB | 55 MB
Learn to track, branch, merge, and manage code revisions for real-world development scenarios
- Master Git and understand the significance of version control
- Get to grips with Git’s typical workflows, advanced functions, and their implementations
- Understand important Git commands to manage your repository
Git is the most popular version control system in the world. It allows developers to keep up with frequent code changes in a project, ensures there are no code conflicts between the developers, and reverts to an older version of code when required.
Git for Programmers comprehensively equips you with actionable insights on advanced Git concepts in an engaging and straightforward way. This book will help you gain expertise on Git with many practical use cases as you progress through the chapters.
The book begins with a quick history of Git and instructions on how to get it and install it, after which you’ll dive into the creation and cloning of your repository. As you progress through the book, you’ll explore Git places, branching, and GUIs.
Once you understand the fundamentals, you’ll learn how to handle merge conflicts, rebase, amend, interactive rebase, and use the log. You’ll also explore important Git commands for managing your repository. Finally, the book concludes with coverage of bisect, blame, and several other problem handling techniques.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to use Git with confidence; saving, sharing, and managing files as well as undoing mistakes and rewriting history.
What you will learn
- Create and clone repositories
- Understand the difference between local and remote repositories
- Use, manage, and merge branches back into the main branch
- Utilize tools to manage merge conflicts
- Manage commits on your local machine through interactive rebasing
- Use the log to gain control over all the data in your repository
- Use bisect, blame, and other tools to undo Git mistakes