English | 2020 | ISBN: 0367211417 | 152 Pages | PDF | 16 MB
The Game Design Deep Dive series examines specific game systems or mechanics over the course of the history of the industry. This book examines the history of jumping – one of the oldest mechanics in the industry – and how it has evolved and changed over the years. The author looks at the transition from 2D to 3D and multiple elements that make jumping more complicated than it looks from a design perspective.
Key Selling Points:
- The first in a series of books that focus entirely on a singular game design system or mechanic, in this case: jumping.
- A perfect read for anyone interested in understanding game design, or just curious from a historical standpoint.
- A must read for anyone interested in building their own platformer or just interested in the history of the game industry’s most famous game mechanic.
- This book is a perfect companion for someone building their first game or as part of a game design classroom.
- Includes real game examples to highlight the discussed topics and mechanics.