Rely on this practical, comprehensive guide to significantly improve your cyber safety and data privacy. This book was written expressly for regular, everyday people — though even technically savvy readers will find many useful tips here. This book contains everything you need to protect yourself-step by step, without judgment, and with as little jargon as possible.
Protecting your digital domain is much like defending a medieval castle. Wide moats, towering walls and trained guards provide defense in depth, safeguarding the people and property within against the most common threats. But attempting to dragon-proof your castle would be counterproductive and costly. The goal of this book is to keep your devices and data safe from the most likely and impactful hazards – not a targeted attack by the NSA. Like wearing seat belts and sunscreen in the real world, there are dozens of simple, effective precautions we need to take in the virtual world.
Author Carey Parker has structured this book to give you maximum benefit with minimum effort. If you just want to know what you need to do, each chapter includes a detailed checklist of expert tips. But the book also explains why you need to do these things, using entertaining analogies and straightforward explanations. This revised and expanded fifth edition includes:
Updated for Windows 11, macOS 13 (Ventura), iOS 16 and Android 13.
Updated recommendations for most secure and private products.
Over 200 tips with complete step-by-step instructions and screenshots.
What You Will Learn
- Maximize your computer and smartphone security.
- Minimize your vulnerabilities and data footprint.
- Solve your password problems and use two-factor authentication.
- Browse the web safely and confidently with a secure, private browser.
- Shop and bank online with maximum security and peace of mind.
- Defend against identity theft, ransomware and online scams.
- Safeguard your children online, at home and in school.
- Block online tracking, data mining and malicious online ads.
- Send files and messages with end-to-end encryption.
- Secure your home network and keep your smart devices from spying on you.
- Create automated backups of all your devices.
- Learn how to deal with account hacks, data. breaches and viruses.
- Understand how computers, the internet, VPNs and encryption really work
- And much more!