Designers are more in-demand than ever, and companies all over the world are creating new leadership roles to manage them. With only a few select institutions teaching effective design management skills, self-taught design managers are on the rise and resources are needed to guide them. This book will help you hone your leadership skills and magnify your team’s potential.
Eager designers will learn the behavioral abilities required to lead and manage impactful and efficient teams using a systemic, context-agnostic, and therefore repeatable approach. While effective design management is vital in these times of complexity and fast change in organizations, the available literature on design management is insufficient, predominately informative, and unfortunately, not actionable. This book fills that gap by illuminating the soft skills you need to lead your team to success.
You’ll gain confidence about how to optimize meetings, run successful kickoffs, manage yourself, and how to best approach and frame your working environment. Whether you are a designer looking to lead, or a member of an organization looking for guidance on how to better incorporate design, this book belongs on your shelf. Design Management is here to assist you in the long haul.
What You’ll Learn
- Comprehend the underlying social and psychological dynamics of leadership and management
- Cultivate the behavioral elements of a design manager
- Understand the building blocks of a design leader
- Establish your core practices and create a self-development program
- Develop and project healthy and sustainable influence
- Build trust, create psychological safety, and fulfill the social needs of high-performing teams
- Coach individuals and groups to unlock creativity and nurture creative collaboration
- Optimize in-person and remote design operations