English | 2017 | ISBN: 1786469007 | 298 Pages | True PDF, EPUB | 10 MB
Apply continuous integration models, deploy applications quicker, and scale at large by putting Docker to work
A practical guide to rapidly and efficiently mastering Docker containers, along with tips and tricks learned in the field.
Deploying Docker into production is considered to be one of the major pain points in developing large-scale infrastructures, and the documentation available online leaves a lot to be desired. With this book, you will learn everything you wanted to know to effectively scale your deployments globally and build a resilient, scalable, and containerized cloud platform for your own use.
The book starts by introducing you to the containerization ecosystem with some concrete and easy-to-digest examples; after that, you will delve into examples of launching multiple instances of the same container. From there, you will cover orchestration, multi-node setups, volumes, and almost every relevant component of this new approach to deploying services. Using intertwined approaches, the book will cover battle-tested tooling, or issues likely to be encountered in real-world scenarios, in detail. You will also learn about the other supporting components required for a true PaaS deployment and discover common options to tie the whole infrastructure together.
At the end of the book, you learn to build a small, but functional, PaaS (to appreciate the power of the containerized service approach) and continue to explore real-world approaches to implementing even larger global-scale services.
What You Will Learn
- Set up a working development environment and create a simple web service to demonstrate the basics
- Learn how to make your service more usable by adding a database and an app server to process logic
- Add resilience to your services by learning how to horizontally scale with a few containers on a single node
- Master layering isolation and messaging to simplify and harden the connectivity between containers
- Learn about numerous issues encountered at scale and their workarounds, from the kernel up to code versioning
- Automate the most important parts of your infrastructure with continuous integration